It's been a plus and minus year - advances in publishing and writing, as well as advances in discovering the limitations of my own awareness and ability. It's been a climb, that's to be certain, but nothing ventured, nothing pained.
It's a year, that's all. Just like the Mayan calendar, they are less like fixed points and more like mile markers. Except they tell you how far you've come, not how far you've yet to travel.
So let me wrap this year up with a revelation: Dare. When you're out in the middle on uncharted waters, and mucking about in the center of an unexplored forest, it doesn't mean you're hopelessly wrong or abandoned.
- Not all who wander are lost.
- Flying comes from falling.
- Making no choice at all is still a choice.
- Following in the path of others is neither innovation nor invention.
- When you're doing something that's never been done before, you're doing something that's never been done before.