Apr 26, 2013

It's a good time to be a Nerd

2013 has a summer of crazy. Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness, Man of Steel, Epic, After Earth, Oblivion, Much Ado About Nothing, World War Z, Pacific Rim, RIPD, The Wolverine, Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, Kick-Ass 2, Elysium, The World's End... and that's just off the top of my head.

Frankly, I don't know that there's going to be anything left in my entertainment budget after this.

And then in the fall, there's Thor 2, Catching Fire, Ender's Game, Riddick, and on and on through the Hobbit, and, jeez, 2014 is already going to be insane. Clearly, Hollywood has realized that nerds have come into their own, have cash and aren't afraid to spend it.

Something to consider, going forward. Video games, comic books - the dungeons and dragons crowd has grown into its own target demographic. And to be honest, I kinda like it. Well, yes. Of course I'd like it. I'm right square in the middle of that group. The once too-geek-to-be-franchised is now The Franchise.

I'm kind of at a loss. After growing up feeling inclined to apologize for my geeky hobbies and interests, suddenly everyone seems to like it, but I can't shake the feeling that it's going to end up just like Carrie, where we're so overwhelmed by the sudden adoration that we don't notice the bucket of pig's blood that's about to come crashing down over our heads.

Which, as it turns out, has also been remade. Hrm.

No comments: